Friday, September 28, 2007

The Big Easy does it!







Well, we boarded the Amtrak 'Crescent' at 830 am last Saturday, bound for New Orleans. I should explain that my father worked for the railroads most of his life, including Amtrak, so I grew up in and around trains my whole life. If anyone here is clamoring for Government Sponsored health care, I suggest a trip to the DMV or a ride on the ol' Amtrak train, which was 'nationalized' in the 70's.

Our train was scheduled to arrive in NOLA at 830, but we got in 4 hours later! The locomotive broke outside Anniston, Alabama, and that was just one of our 'adventures'. The personell on the train aren't exactly
'sociable', either. I guess I wouldn't be a ray of sunshine if I had to work on this nightmare. Add to that a bunch of UGA fans drinking on the train on the way to the UGA/BAMA game, and it get's stickier. If the game wasn't a night game, you would have seen a full fledged riot on the tracks. I'm serious: these people would have jumped right off the damn thing!

After they departed ( UGA won the game in OT )a gaggle of fine fellows got on that were drinking as much as Mico and I. That's saying something. It turns out they were a 'bachelor party' en route to NOLA for a night of drunken debauchery!

Mico and I got off the train and beat it to Lafitte's to perform with the incredible Mike Hood. Mike has a keyboard delivery that calls to mind the more 'strident' pinetop pioneers of the crescent city: a little DR John here, a little Fats Domino there...You get the idea. I see big things in this guys future.

Mike lives in a sweet apartment on Bourbon Street, just steps from Lafitte's, and we ended the morning with a grand old party before we hailed a cab to take us back to the train from hell. But thanks to Mr Hood and Lafitte's for showing us such a good time.

I'm taking the weekend off even though Mudcat is playing at the Northside..Time to recharge the batteries. I may go to the Falcons game on Sunday, though.

Keep checking back for more crapulence!

E

No comments: