Friday, November 9, 2007

confused again!





So, the reason the writers are on strike is because they dont 'feel' they are getting enough $$$ on residuals for content sold online or in DVD's? That's about it, right?

I'm trying to see it unbiased here. The 'company' or 'producers' pay you to write for thier late night shows, sitcoms, drama's, etc..The writers get residuals for every time the footage is aired on TV. But the internet, or DVD repackaging is making alot of $$$. The technology and platform are relatively new, and the legalities of 'residuals' has not been ironed out.

Why 'go on strike' to accomplish this? Won't this hurt or destroy this season more then the '4 cents on a DVD' they stand to lose? It seems a little 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'.

American Idol will be back, and Reality TV , Sports,and scab programming will fill the niche. For those pining for 'My Name Is Earl' or 'The Office'on NBC, they will find it online done by more creative,independant studios outside of Hollywood and NYC, and for free. Often, without commercial interruption!

I liken this to AM radio: consultants and technology have sapped the 'soul' out of it, and left a shallow husk of it's former self. Yet it still makes $$$, though it has been steadily declining. If I want AM programming of the type I used to get, I can still get it, just with a different delivery system now. It doesn't mean I no longer listen to AM radio, just in smaller amounts now.

I think the same will hold true for TV. But, hey I've been wrong before.

No comments: