Saturday, November 3, 2007

it's a small world, ACHTUNG UBER ALLES


so I have survived yet again another trip to the land that mouse built...And this time, it was about the same.

I cannot figure out what exactly it is that attracts my wife to this 'fantasy land', and I say that with aplomb. It seems we always get there, and then realize a 22 month old ( or a 8, 12, and 15) is not going to 'get much ' out of Disney, but we make the best of it. Personally, for what we spend at a moderate resort @ Disneyworld, we could take 2 weekend cruises out of Cocoa beach or Jax, including a babysitter on board! But it's what makes the old lady 'happy', so since she is earning the $$$, I will choose my battles, and this is one that aint worth it.

I will say this about Orlando, and Disneyworld in particular. Living in the ATL, getting 'basic comprehensive service' on anything such as dining, entertainment, or lodging is impossible. Try coming here sometime and you will see. But such is not the case down there.

I don't know how they do it: but they have service DOWN. From the minute you arrive, from the high priced resort to the lowly 40$ campsite, they never drop the ball. It's positively amazing. I'd like to consider myself well travelled, and I've stayed under bridges and at the Ritz~ but I've never quite experienced what I have at Disney.

Here's an example. On Halloween night, we secured reservations @ the Boardwalk resort, a hoity-toity resort on the 'upper scale' of the DVC properties. While swimming with the family, I turned my back to an oriental guy I thought 'looked out of sorts' to me. He wasn't wearing swim clothes, but he did not look like a bum, and there were other oriental families swimming nearby, so I thought ' oh well, Uncle Crazy can't swim'.

A yard guy found my wallet in the breezeway 100 yards away with the $$$ missing, but all the credit cars and such intact. I had just purchased a beer at the pool bar, and stashed my wallet in a 'fanny pack', so it happened in a five minute interval. The employee noticed the guy, too, and was shadowing him( I think). He dumped my wallet and booked it, taking my 17$. But this guy had the wallet, called security and his supervisor, and was proactive in getting everything right.There is no way this guy could have been 'in on it' for the 17$$ cut: and all the cards were present. He was just an ordinary Disney employee, that was observant, and he didn't really need to be. There were lifeguards and securty galore, but the yard guy had the wallet in my hand in minutes.

The yard guy!

I dont know what they do down there to get results, but Disney does not run a 'Mickey Mouse' operation. They are the best.

No comments: