Sunday, October 5, 2008

City to busy to hate.





What a total crock.

I'm in the process of bathroom reading 2 books I got from my late father. One is 'From Sweet Auburn to Peachtree' by a guy named Pomerantz.....And it explains why I have seen such extraordinary stuff lately.

Once this week, I heard a black man exclaim 'I'm a black man before I am an American', which forced my hand. I cannot abide such blatant anti-Americanism. When I responded with 'well, which country would you prefer to live in, if you could?' he actually answered 'France'. This provoked such laughter from me that the guy got visibly upset and asked me 'what's so funny'?

I explained to this guy (who is married to a white woman), that if he thinks the good people of France are going to be any more sympathetic, he was nuts. The outlying suburbs of France are burned it seems every spring, and the reason for it? France colonialized alot of Africa, and now, thier 'chickens have come home to roost', to use a popular phrase. The disenfranchised of France think the same way, and take it out on the property owners and local constabulatory with regularity. Even though France has allowed them to move there, they do not actually become 'French', the are still 'black' or 'arab' or 'African' first. And as such, right or wrong, the old guard of white folks in France do not look to kindly on interracial marriages. In fact, they may be worse or about the same as the old guard from the Antebellum South...

Then this disturbing episode happened...At my regular gig is a raving right wing nut that always begs me to play Toby Keith or other such nonsense, and we generally ignore this guy. But, at the end of the night, when everyone else appeared to be gone, I pulled him aside to play one of my 'New ones', affectionally titled 'I'm like Obama at Nascar'.

This is a CNW comedy number of course, and it was composed at a time when my wife was stressed out and taking it out on me..Here are some lyrics:

Someone isnt feeling right today, and you wont feel right tonight
Maybe those 14 hour days are getting you uptight
Because lately youve been ignoring me with every waking word or thought
You leave me out there in no mans land: like an old dog that cant be taught

CHORUS

IM LIKE OBAMA AT NASCAR, LIKE HELEN KELLER IN A TITTY BAR
LIKE JIMMY SWAGGART AT THE GAY PARADE, LIKE MICHEAL MOORE AT THE NRA
IM PROTESTING BUT NOT SITTING IN
BECAUSE I REALIZE IM NOT QUITE FITTING IN
IM OUT OF TUNE LIKE THIS OLD GUITAR
IM LIKE OBAMA AT NASCAR!

Now, I never play this song live, ever. Because some dumbass might think it's

RACIST!!!

Which is exactly what happened. Even though I waited until everyone split, and was on the side of a building, some uptight bitch heard the chorus of the song, and got right in my face immediately. I could tell she was tipsy, but the words she spat at me were not full of 'forgiveness' or 'hope'. I'll never forget what she said to me that night.

'Just wait. Just you wait until Obama get's elected: AND THEN YOURE GONNE GET YOURS!'


Too busy to 'hate', huh? My ass.

No comments: