Saturday, October 4, 2008

Is this a scam?



Okay, so I post an ad on Craigslist for my rental unit, and here is a response I got back......Does it seem ;fishy; to anyone?


http://atlanta.craigslist.org/apa/862911713.html




"Hello,

Thanks for the details on the Property, i am satisfied and will like to go ahead with the renting process,i will like you to go ahead and please reserve the property for me.
So i will be needing the following informations so that the check for payment of the deposit $2100 can be processed and posted to you soon.

FULL NAME TO BE ON CHECK:.......................
CONTACT ADDRESS WITH YOUR ZIP CODE:.............
PHONE NUMBER :...................................
YOUR NEAREST AIRPORT:..........................

I will also want to notify you that i have in the mean time arrange with an interior decorator who will be handling the purchase of furnitures,entertainment system and other appliances that i will need in the property,they will as well be incharge of moving down my luggages down to the states.
So the check of $7900 will be sent over to you which is a relocation grant by my employer, and all you need to do is deduct the deposit $2100 and you will forward the rest to the Decorators so i can have the place all prepared for my arrival. All applications an d lease will be signed as soon as i arrive.

Also for familiarization I am Patrick Ritches,I am 45 yrs of age,a British citizen,I work with PYPUN ENGINEERING CONSULTANTS LTD), as a Estate Consultant, I am a Christian, reserved in Nature, Non smoker also i don't keep pets.

I look forward to meeting you and hope to have a good relationship as a tenant with you.
I await the details.

you can reach my at this number Phone:"

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

got the same response today, different name, exact same text.

Anonymous said...

got the same reply today same name exact same text

Anonymous said...

I got the same response that you did with a different name...sounded fishy to me when I read it, so I Googled Pypun Engineering and came across your blog...what the hell are these people up to? My guess is they somehow get access to your bank account through deposit of their "money order". Should I report this to craigslist?

Anonymous said...

I got the same response and we just deposited the money order - it is really fishy. They want us to now send soem of teh money via western union back to the UK - where he is currently living? I don't feel right about this at all!

Unknown said...

My name is Debbie, from Florida Home Realty. I have the same email from this guy. I am right now reading your comments, and I can't believe how I wasted my time on this thing and now is just not a real thing. I am reporting it to Craigslist as a scam right now.
You can contact me if you want at my cell 239-601-4176, we need to do something about this rats on Craigslist, please people.
Thank you for starting this tread.
Debbie

Unknown said...

Actually I am reporting this to the FBI, to us maybe is just trying to take our money, to other people who knows what they are doing, so right now I am doing a report to FBI, why wait??? Please if you have emails like this, here is the link, reported inmediately to the FBI:
http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Anonymous said...

I just got the same email today (19JAN2010) with a different name and amount. This is a scam. They send you a bad check, and ask you to send a portion of it to someone else. By the time you realize the check is bad, the money you sent has been withdrawn and your SOL.

Anonymous said...

I received same response to my house for rent listing. Different name, but he want me to wire excess funds to his decorator via Western Union. This guy is pretty sad. Joe

Anonymous said...

I got the same response from my rental posting today. I'm in FL.

Anonymous said...

I got similar response. Thought it was to good to be true and wierd that someone would want to give me a check for $5,000 more than I should get, and trust that I would send the money to his decorator.

Thanks for input, otherwise probably would have wasted my time also.

Anonymous said...

Just got a response for my rental unit - same exact text, but name used was Fredrick Wilson.
DO NOT give any personal information to these people! If it sounds too good to be true, then it is...
Funny how he leaves out details like move-in date, why he's coming to live in your city/town, nor does he want to SEE the property before making asking for it to be "reserved".
TOTAL SCAM!!

AlligatorGreg said...

I get these responses every time I sell something on Craigslist. They send you a bad check for more than your asking. You deposit it and forward the excess to them usually by Western Union. A few days later you fing out the check didnt clear. Your out money and have a bad check charge as well. This scam has been around a long time. To stop this everyone should play along, and then just never deposit check or send them any money. They will have wasted their time and money sending you their bogus checks and eventually maybe it will stop.

Anonymous said...

Just got the same email with the name Frederick Wilson for my Craigslist ad. I told him to send me the money via Western Union. I don't think I will hear from him agaim

Anonymous said...

yeah i got the same thing from fredrick wilson... SCAM...