Friday, June 29, 2007

interesting article from 2000-2001 on Mike Vick, notice anything interesting?


"He is a very motivated person," says Rickey Bustle, Tech's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. "He told me from the first day he wanted to be better than anyone else. But what is great about Mike is that he has fun doing this. You enjoy being around him. He lights up a room. I looked forward to spending time with him. We would always laugh."


That's how Vick likes it, light and positive. He's not particularly glib or flashy, but he's just good company, well-mannered and not full of himself. And he's still a big kid in a lot of ways. He will sit in front of PlayStation 2 all day--"we have these tournaments but you know who is going to win every time"-and go to scary movies with his girlfriend-"those are the kind she likes"-and take on all comers in basketball. He just keeps moving, staying active, not letting things get too deep.


Johnson :frets whether he will be too trusting, too indecisive, but Vick brushes off those worries. "I think things out, I do my research," he says. "I don't have a lot of friends. I don't trust everyone. I know I have to be careful about who I am and the company I keep, and I will be. I have a responsibility to a lot of people, and I won't let them down. And if I see that some of my friends change, I can change, too. In a hurry."


NFL teams are aware of where he grew up; there is concern he could be hanging with the wrong crowd. It's no wonder Bratkowski has urged him to move immediately to his new NFL city, to quickly involve himself in workouts and playbook study. Bratkowski thinks it will help his new teammates to understand Vick's work ethic. But it also will place him in a positive environment.

Sure, he needs to keep growing. But just the other day, Vick was on the Internet, doing research on another interest: .breeding pit ,bulls. His pit bull already has produced one litter and he has what he calls "a budding breeding, kennel" in the works.


"There's more to me than people might think," he says, his eyes twinkling.

No comments: