Saturday, June 14, 2008

Cat Power




many moons ago, while my buddy Danny Mudcat and I were young struggling musicians, I noticed every edition of 'Creative Loafing' would RAVE about this young female singer, Chan. I went to one of her shows, and it was awful. The band could not play, and she was stoned, drunk and scared. She would forget whole songs and would break into tears, refuse to sing anymore, she trembled and when she did sing it was 'stream of consciousness' screaming. It was not entertaining in the least. It was scary and sad. If I want 'scary and sad', I'll go see a scary or sad movie.

The local media is doing somersaults because she is returning to do another show. Now, it appears she is sober and has honed her craft. You see, besides the Indigo Girls, every band that 'makes it' leaves. Even Chan left. She would quit a band, and move to NYC, Then the rags up there would stroke her. Then she would quit and move to the pacific northwest. Cycle repeats.

So this little disturbed twit has had 2 decades of positive press with very little 'work' involved. But I am curious to see how she fares now. After your whole stage act being predicated on 'crazy', wont she lose credibility if she is calm and sings in key with a functioning band? Or will the 'Loaf now say 'look how far she's come!'

Maybe it will be like Dylan plugging in.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What you probably read in the Loaf was Jeff Clark's saliva. What you probably saw was stage fright, feigned or real. Whether Chan split A-town is irrelevant (NYC is where everything good goes to die, right?). Whether Chan was/is disturbed is beyond your (or my) ken. Calling her a twit based on some show you saw in '94 is lame. Suggesting she didn't 'work' for it is just ignorant.

I'm not a fan, but why should she care about the Loaf when she's got the Times?

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/c/cat_power/index.html?8qa&scp=1-spot&sq=Chan+Marshall&st=nyt

Thanks for trying out.

bubba bark said...

mr lee, sounds like this post twisted his knickers

so let's all give bk a rousing PISS OFF

Evan Lee said...

When I went to the School for Creative and Performing Arts as a high school student I learned a very valuble lesson: don't get on stage if your 'scared'. I feel I can righteously call her a 'twit' because I paid to see a 'show' and instead I saw 'therapy'. Sorry I have absolutely no empathy for anyone that takes the stage and then cries about it.

Too many real talented chicks should get that press space.Thanks for dropping by.

Evan Lee said...

and now piss off!