Monday, June 2, 2008

RIP Bo Diddley.....



One of the very few famous blues artists that kept it going for many years....I got a chance to play harmonica with him on 'Road Runner' in 1999~ they guy was playing in Virginia Highlands, and used local pick up players for his backline!

He got screwed by the white record companies, the black record companies, and the Jewish promoters for decades...He spawned leagues of imitators ( Thourogood?) but there was only ONE


Bo Diddley.


Now, for the 'washboard trick'.

It's a simple philosophy. You are performing in front of a group of people: find the drunkest chick that doesn't look like Madeline Albright and get her to 'rub the washboard'. Her friends will whoop and holler, and every owner of a penis will pay attention. It works especially well if you find 'lightning in a bottle', a truly hot chick. Last saturday was 'cougar country', but oh well. This trick works EVERY TIME.

The owner of the bar was commenting on my ploy last weekend. I buy a 5$ mini washboard, and staple an old cord to it. Add 2 spoons, and play some zydeco to 'show them how it's done'. Then, hand it off to the drunk chicks. Works every time.

It's even better when I'm in New Orleans, and I can sell or give the damn thing away before I get on the train back home. It's either a 'automatic shot buyer', or a damn good souvenir. I get my 5$ out of it, and the good people of Mexico get some chump change. Because we stopped making washboards 7 years ago:-)


No comments: