Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Dontcha mind nobody...




....grinnin' in yo face.

Last week, we lost another voice. Cora Mae Bryant sat in the family section over a decade ago as I walked the plank....uh, I mean got married. Shw was the closest thing to a grandparent I had left..

Too many stories to recount. From the first moment I met her to the subsequent gigs we would do together. Cora was a real, valid link to 'the blues'. She grew up in segregated Newton County. Her family was a 'who's who' of blues musicians. She bounced on the drunken knee of Blind Willie McTell and sang spirituals in the cotton fields.

She loved me and my wife, and even got to see my son. Very few things have made me proud: but watching Cora look in wonder at mini me swelled my heart. I will miss Sean Costello, Mr Frank Edwards and Cootie Stark: but I will mourn the loss of my friend Cora Mae Bryant.

I regret going to the funeral, as my last glimpse of her was in the box. I almost wish I did not go, so my memory of her was as she lived. But I will carry the image of her in the casket with me for awhile.

I love you Cora, and I miss you.

No comments: