Sunday, July 20, 2008

there in a pinch.



After my gig Thursday night ( which is free and open to all )

http://theevanlee.blogspot.com/2008/07/every-thursday-night.html

I was set to settle in for a nice Friday evening. The toddler was asleep, the old lady put in 'Fools Gold' ( ugh ) and I started to drift off to sleep when my cellphone rang. It was my trumpet player, Mico, who was playing with Mudcat @ the Northside Tavern. It appears the bass player did not arrive, and it was 10 pm. Would I be able to come and play bass for the evening?

It was just like putting on old shoes. Danny 'Mudcat' and I share some strange telekenitic ability to follow each other without words. Even after 20 years, it is a comfortable place where I don't have to 'think' too much.

But, even though I LOVE playing with Mudcat, I know I am growing older. Sure, it's fun to put the amp up to 11 and watch hot chicks get drunk and dance. It's even funnier watching drunk HUGE ladies do the same! But, it just wears me out. The following day after a Mudcat gig is spent recovering, whereas 10 years ago, I would have squeezed in 2 during the next day. I don't know how he keeps it up. I suspect Wild Turkey is in there somewhere....

Dont get me wrong, if asked, I will play. I would not dream of saying 'no'. I'm just admitting I do not have the stamina and longevity that I used to, especially if I have to play drums with him. I can get by on the bass or accordion pretty easily.


The bathrooms @ the Northside Tavern are notorious. They make the term 'dive bar' blush. The difference between a crack whore and the Northside bathroom is in a pinch, you can take a dump on the crackwhore!!


No comments: