Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Water Heater nightmare




Last friday, my tenant tells me the Water Heater will not stay lit. So, being a 'good' landlord, I call A All Appliance Service to 'fix' the issue. A quick google search informs me that most issues of this nature is a direct result of the 'Thermocoupler'(?) going bad, and it was not a terribly expensive 'fix'....

Then, the 'contractor Macarena' begins.

First, the guy shows up very,very late with no phone call to warn my poor tenant, who is late for his bartending job in East Atlanta.

Then, in all of 5 minutes, he informs me the tank is 'rusted', and water is putting out the pilot....?!Okay, here's 82 smackers for the 'service fee'.

That's odd, so I look up my paperwork, and the damn thing is only 4 years old. A call to 'Sears' service tells me they will send out a guy Tuesday.

Sears automated call's monday pm to tell me they are coming. The guy arrives and looks at the water heater....

' Who took off the pilot coupling? It's lying on the floor? Since someone took off the PC, warranty is now 'void'. Nice. As a plus, it's only typical condensation, and all it took was for the guy to put the coupling back on and adjust the venting and a syrofoam vapor catcher on the WH. 127$ cha ching.

Isn't it interesting that these folks answer your phone when your seeking service, but when you complain, then every subsequent time you call, you go 'straight to voice mail'? That's rather funny, no?

If this were an islolated experience, I might understand. But, this happens 80% of the time I use any American contractors. NO matter the issue, plumbing,roofing, electric, appliances, 80% of the time, I get screwed. The other 20% of the time, it's only a minor inconvenience as they show up late and do not meet pre set timelines.

Then, people wonder why they move 'jobs' overseas. Because those people give a shit.

No comments: