Monday, August 4, 2008

It's Cocktail Time! RIP Skip Caray




Back in the late 90's, when I was writing comedy spots for 620 AM, I used to listen to Skip on the Braves pregame show and I adored his biting sarcasm and wit.

Guy used to call and ask about the 'infield fly rule', knowing it would only piss him off.

One weekend, I called and asked him the following question:

"Skip, I recently watched a movie about a soccer team who's plane crashed in the Andes....What would occur if the Braves private charter crashed and everyone died? Would they field a team from the minors? Furthermore, if the plane crashed in the wild, and the players had to eat each other to survive, who would be the first to go?"

For the next 5 minutes, he lit me up with a slew of insults that would make Don Rickles blush. He asked me 'what, are you the kida creep that reads the obits so he can cross out all the names in your phonebook? What's wrong with you son? You need a hobby!'....It was priceless. I had 'gotten to ' the voice of the Braves. He spoke about the 'creep' that asked the 'ridiculous death scenario questions' for the next 2 shows. I had somehow earned a spot in his mind, as a complete A Hole.

Good night, Skip. It's cocktail time!

No comments: