Monday, April 13, 2009

The History of American Politics part one.

Anyone who is bored enough to view my little rantings here now and then is aware that one of my fascinations is history. I'm the nerd that can't wait to watch one of the numerous 'history' channels, I see a grainy black and white WW2 footage, and I'm hooked.

Sometimes I feel as if I was born in the wrong generation.

And everyday I miss the wise council of my Father, who tried to to 'persuade' my politics, but instead just related political trends he saw in his 84 years.

Recently, I have been worried about the tone and substance of 'entertainment' that spills from my AM or XM radio.

I don't think this kind of thing could have survived in my Father's day, and I'm not sure whether that is good or bad. I listened again to Crazy Mike Malloy, the anti-capitalist talk show host that wants you to buy his podcast again this weekend. Beyond his general rundown of capitalism, I was surprised to hear a passionate defense of the Somali Pirates, as it was explained that the international shipping routes have destroyed the once great 'fishing' area's so the only thing left for the Pirates to do was to take over these ships and demand ransom. I mean,a Pirate's gotta eat, right?

Then there's the equally nutty Glenn Beck, who pours imitation gas on an actor on his show to illustrate how Obama's Illegal Vote Grab is just 'fanning the flames' of 'Joe Six Pack'...Can I offer an opinion here? 'Joe Six Pack' is a douche. He reminds me of another great big placenta, 'Joe the Plumber', uh, I mean Reporter, uh.. I mean 'author'....Wait a minute...

If you've got that guy to be a keynote 'speaker' at your stupid Populist Rage Rally ( read TeaParties ), things have really gotten out of control.


History provides some solace amidst the mealstrom. This too, shall pass.

In my humble opinion, what’s happening on the conservative right looks like a predictable cyclical pattern in American politics — in which an elite (or at least, intellectually grounded) movement rises to power by attracting mass support, only to grow increasingly out of touch with the populist “fringe” elements it has attracted to the cause.

Fifty years ago, the mandarins of the old New Deal left had to deal with the more radical civil rights and New Left activists who challenged their control of the Democratic Party.

Before that, the old Wilsonian Democrats of the Progressive Era were challenged by the urban machines and the unions, who emerged as the big winners in the New Deal.

Before that, the agrarian Populists took on the McKinley-Hanna Republicans, and before THAT, the Whig elites who created the GOP to contend with the nativist Know Nothings.

Now, the conservatism of Russell Kirk and William F. Buckley — has mutated into a populist movement, with all the carny sideshow theatrics and conspiratorial paranoia that American populist movements have traditionally fostered.

Not to worry: If past is prologue, the elites will eventually regain control, after the movement has been in the political wilderness long enough.

The real story is going to be on the left, as the same dynamic begins to generate friction between the Clintonite and Obamanian Democratic establishment and the less domesticated liberal “netroots”.

Hold on folks, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.


Feeling depressed? This should cheer you up:


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you have the express written permission of Major League Baseball to post this content? ;)

...on another note, I'm surprised at your take on the Tea Parties...are your views (*gasp*) moderating? Drifting back toward the Center? Mayhap we will pass each other once again - I'll wave on my way back right as you go back left...

Evan Lee said...

I tend to think I've always been 'center-moderate'...But even looking at the positive press clippings on the Tea Parties is shameful. Really, the 'dont tread on me flag'? Cmon.

Some advice Davy: while on your way back to the right, abandon the open toe footware:-)